PETOSKEY, MICH. (TheStreet) -- Could investors be so lucky as to see a 7% to 10% pullback in the auto industry due to the government shutdown?
I don't just mean a broad-based selloff in the market either. That didn't happen. Overall, everything has held up pretty well. Now we're looking for a selloff in a quality sector that was ultimately tied to the government shutdown.
For all intents and purposes, this government shutdown was a one-time event. If U.S. consumers were holding back on purchasing a new car because of the shutdown, it's not as if anything truly bad happened to automakers like Ford (F) or General Motors (GM).
It's not as if there was a large market shift. Many consumers did not face severe, long-term pressure that forced them to curb spending or delay buying big-ticket items.The trend has no reverse and shouldn't cause a decline in auto sales. In a recent study conducted by Kelley Blue Book, 18% of prospective car buyers said they would forgo purchasing a new car until there is a resolution. The article also suggested that if the government only came to a short-term solution, it could further hurt auto sales as many Americans may simply put off buying a new car for another month or two.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV