United Rentals, Inc. (NYSE:URI) today announced financial results for the third quarter 2013. Total revenue was $1.311 billion and rental revenue was $1.138 billion, compared with $1.219 billion and $1.051 billion, respectively, for the same period last year. On a GAAP basis, the company reported third quarter net income of $143 million, or $1.35 per diluted share, compared with $73 million, or $0.70 per diluted share, for the same period last year.
Adjusted EPS 1 for the quarter was $1.63 per diluted share, compared with $1.35 per diluted share for the same period last year. Adjusted EBITDA 2 was $642 million and adjusted EBITDA margin was a company record 49.0% for the quarter.
Share Repurchase Authorization
The company’s board of directors has approved a share repurchase program authorizing up to $500 million in share repurchases. The company’s current intention is to complete the repurchases within 18 months.Third Quarter 2013 Highlights 3
- Rental revenue (which includes owned equipment rental revenue, re-rent revenue and ancillary items) increased 8.3% year-over-year. Within rental revenue, owned equipment rental revenue increased 8.0%, reflecting year-over-year increases of 8.2% in the volume of equipment on rent and 3.2% in rental rates. The company has reaffirmed its outlook for a full-year increase in rental rates of at least 4%.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $642 million and adjusted EBITDA margin was a company record 49.0%, an increase of $72 million and 220 basis points, respectively, from the same period last year. The company has reaffirmed its outlook for full year adjusted EBITDA in a range of $2.25 billion to $2.35 billion.
- Time utilization increased 100 basis points year-over-year to 70.8%. The company has reaffirmed its outlook for full year time utilization of approximately 68.0%.
- The company generated $102 million of proceeds from used equipment sales at an adjusted gross margin of 48.0%, compared with $101 million of proceeds at an adjusted gross margin of 40.3% for the same period last year. 4
- The company realized cost synergies of $64 million in the quarter from the integration of RSC, and reaffirmed its goal of $230 million to $250 million of annual cost synergies in 2014.
- Flow-through, which represents the year-over-year change in adjusted EBITDA divided by the year-over-year change in total revenue, was 78.3%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV