"But for today, the relief we hope for is to reopen the government, avoid default, and protect the historic cuts we achieved under the BCA," McConnell concluded. "This is far less than many of us had hoped for. But it's far better than what some had sought."
The Senate's legislation will next be sent to the House of Representatives, after which it may be sent back to the Senate with demands for changes.
Dow Jones Industrial Average
BNY Mellon early on Wednesday reported a 7% sequential decline in revenue for the third quarter, although the company also reported operating earnings of 60 cents a share, which came in ahead of the consensus 58-cent estimate among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.Shares of JPMorgan Chase (JPM) rose 3.3% to close at $54.05, after the nation's largest bank entered into a $100 million settlement with the Commodities Futures Trading Commission springing from last year's "London Whale" hedge trading losses. Bank of America's (BAC) stock was up over 2% to close at $14.56, after the company reported third-quarter earnings of $2.5 billion, or 20 cents a share, coming in slightly behind the consensus EPS estimate of 21 cents. Bank of America continued the trend of weak third-quarter trading revenue for major U.S. banks, and also reported a rise in legal expenses. Please see the links below for extensive coverage of the flurry of bank earnings announcements on Wednesday.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV