COLUMBUS, Ohio, Oct. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The American Electric Power (AEP) Foundation is funding a new pilot initiative with the Columbus State Community College Foundation to launch a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) dual enrollment program at Columbus City high schools. The Credits Count SM program is expected to begin in fall 2014 at West High School and will expand to four additional high schools over the next five years, according to Nicholas K. Akins, president and chief executive officer of AEP and chairman of the AEP Foundation.
"Far too often, we hear of barriers such as the cost of tuition that keep our students from moving on to higher education and reaching their career aspirations," Akins said. "Our goal is to help students become fully prepared to graduate from high school ready for a career or with a significant number of credit hours toward a college education."
"Credits Count expands access to a college credential, ensures affordability for Columbus students and families, and aligns with regional career opportunities," said Columbus State Community College President David Harrison. "This partnership will eliminate uncertainty by providing a planned pathway to college and career success."
The major components of the program include:
- Middle school STEM experiences to engage students as early as possible in college exploration for STEM-related careers;
- College course readiness assessments to identify gaps in writing, math and reading that may need tutoring support;
- Summer bridge program to provide any needed English and math remediation prior to students entering the dual enrollment program;
- Dual enrollment in high school and at Columbus State, allowing students to graduate high school with at least 12 college credits in STEM-related fields including energy, the environment and information technology.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV