NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Palisade Capital Management Chief Investment Officer Dan Veru is using the budget impasse as a buying opportunity, reflecting the view that markets may rise once Washington's political impasse is broken.
Veru, whose firm manages around $4.3 billion in total assets, said the "sideshow" in Washington has become a buying opportunity. The Palisade fund manager says the gradual global economic recovery in Europe and Asia coupled with accommodative monetary policy from the Federal Reserve supports his call that stocks may be poised to move higher.
"We are buying on a stock by stock [rather than a sector] basis," Veru said in a phone interview. "And if the market sells off, it makes companies we like more attractive. I firmly believe that when all this blows over, and it will blow over, that the market will be higher by the year end."
National Securities chief market strategist Donald Selkin echoed Veru's outlook explaining that he's also buying in the dips on the basis that political machinations are short-term phenomenons. National Securities oversees $4 billion in funds. "We don't see too much upside but fourth quarter earnings should still be up 8-9%," he added.Selkin likes energy stocks such as Exxon Mobil (XOM), pharmaceutical names such as Merck (MRK) and tech companies such as Facebook (FB) and Apple (AAPL) - though he;'s waiting for a pullback in the latter names before adding to his positions. Selkin also pointed to the market's optimism that a deal would be reached, noting that even during the shutdown, the U.S. equity benchmark hasn't fallen far from its five-year high of 1725.52 reached in September.
--By Jane Searle in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV