Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified BlackRock (BLK) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified BlackRock as such a stock due to the following factors:
- BLK has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 3.56 mentions/day.
- BLK has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $161.2 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in BLK with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for BLK NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on BLK: BlackRock, Inc. is a publicly owned investment manager. The firm primarily provides its services to institutional, intermediary, and individual investors. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.5%. BLK has a PE ratio of 17.7. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate BlackRock a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold.The average volume for BlackRock has been 650,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. BlackRock has a market cap of $45.8 billion and is part of the financial sector and financial services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.34 and a short float of 1.3% with 3.04 days to cover. Shares are up 31.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates BlackRock as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, revenue growth, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 36.03% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 47.97% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, BLK should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- BLACKROCK INC has improved earnings per share by 36.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, BLACKROCK INC increased its bottom line by earning $13.80 versus $12.38 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($15.97 versus $13.80).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 12.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- 42.47% is the gross profit margin for BLACKROCK INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 29.37% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,140.00 million or 17.89% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 5.52%.
- You can view the full BlackRock Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about BLK
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV