ICE was able to buy the Big Board because commodities and futures markets now offer more action, more trading volume and more transaction processing capability than traditional stocks. Stocks like Twitter get the headlines, but it is futures markets that have the volume.
An exchange, in the end, is just like any other transaction processing business. The quality of the computer services it provides determines its financial fate, and the volume of the transactions it processes define its finances.
That's what people are looking at with Twitter as well, transaction volume. The company says it now has more than 200 million active users creating more than 500 million "tweets" per day. While it began supporting just the 140 characters of a cell phone's SMS message, many tweets now incorporate pictures and video.
There's little technical difference from processing tweets and moving money around, whether the data represents your desire for coffee, your purchase at a store or a big block of stock. It all needs to be handled reliably, in real time and at scale.So the final irony in all this is that, after its IPO is completed, Twitter will technically have the capital base to buy the exchange it is listing on. ICE is paying $8.2 billion for the NYSE, and the Twitter IPO is expected to raise about $15 billion. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @DanaBlankenhor This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV