Ciena ® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that Metrofibre NetworxTM (MFN), a South African independent telecommunications infrastructure operator, selected Ciena’s packet networking solutions to support its enhanced Ethernet managed bandwidth service offerings. Ciena worked with its BizConnect partner Adcomtec to provide a core network infrastructure that allows MFN to quickly, efficiently, and cost-effectively deploy its MetroCONNECTTM Carrier Ethernet services to its growing customer base of services providers and enterprises in South Africa.
- MFN offers Managed Bandwidth Services from 2Mbps up to 1Gbps between the end customer and its preferred service provider. MFN’s network, an Open Access Metro Ethernet Network, is open to all service providers on equal terms. MFN currently provides ‘fibre-to-the-premises’ access to approximately 800 business in the Gauteng area and its services are being expanded to cover new markets and eventually reach more than 5,000 enterprises.
- MFN is leveraging Ciena’s packet networking solutions to provide more bandwidth at a lower cost and deliver end-to-end SLAs for its service provider customers, enabling consistent quality of service across any of the service providers chosen in its open access network.
- To improve network availability and expand the total capacity of its growing network, MFN deployed Ciena’s 3940 Service Delivery Switch and MEF CE2.0-certified 5150 Service Aggregation Switch. The infrastructure is based on 10G optical fibre rings, scalable to 100G, allowing the delivery of next-generation Ethernet services in a cost-effective manner and providing carrier-grade resiliency and reliability to support performance assurance guarantees for their end-users.
- The Ciena-based packet network utilizes G.8032 Ethernet Ring Protection Switching to maximize service availability on the network, providing MFN more effective interconnection between network elements, sub-50ms protection switching for all traffic, and increased network scalability.
- Adcomtec, a Ciena BizConnect partner, provided design assistance, support and technical resources.
- “Our new open class Metro Ethernet network provides enterprises with carrier-class broadband connectivity using the service provider of their choice. With Ciena’s packet networking solutions we are able to increase the scalability and reliability of our network, allowing our service provider customers to provide high-performance Ethernet services to business customers.”- Malcolm Kirby, CEO, Metrofibre Networx
- “For a network operator like Metrofibre, serving both service providers along with small and medium sized enterprises, it is essential to have a reliable network that can meet the growing demands of its end customers. Using Ciena’s packet networking solution along with Adcomtec’s expertise and support, Metrofibre’s network can not only scale to meet the growing needs of its current customers, but also quickly expand to provide high-speed broadband to new markets in South Africa.”- Nick Walden, regional managing director, EMEA operations, Ciena
- Ciena’s purpose-built packet networking platforms are used by more than 150 carriers, wireless service providers and cable operators worldwide. They offer the industry’s richest set of OAM capabilities and support a wide range of key industry packet transport protocols, such as G.8032, PBB-TE and MPLS-TP thanks to the virtual switching capability native to Ciena’s packet portfolio.
- Ciena’s packet networking platforms are complemented by the company’s Network Transformation Solutions (NTS) and BizConnect partner program that offer a truly consultative approach to Ciena partners along with joint marketing and sales support.
- Data Sheet: 5150 Service Aggregation Switch
- Data Sheet: 3940 Service Delivery Switch
- Video: G.8032 – Ethernet Ring Protection Switching
- Service Description: Ciena BizConnect Partner Program
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV