So, today should be an interesting one in market land. I'd expect there to be some swings depending on the rhetoric coming out of Washington, and whether talk of a Fitch downgrade intensifies. This could actually be the day to deploy some dry powder, especially if the market shows any signs of nerves. That's certainly not the case pre-market, with futures up as I write this.
In the event of some intraday volatility, I'll be looking in deep value land, where sell-offs typically hit such stocks harder. I'll be keeping an eye on the "double nets", companies trading between one and two times net current asset value, that are on my radar. Companies like cash-rich Kulicke and Soffa (KLIC), which is up 8% this week on the back of a Barron's article touting it, Benchmark Electronics (BHE), AVX (AVX), Tech Data (TECD) and Superior Industries (SUP) to name a handful.
At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV