It's abundantly clear that the iPhone 5s is selling well, despite being $100 more expensive than the 5c. The 5s offers the new A7 64-bit chip, as well as the M7 motion sensor chip, TouchID fingerprint sensor, and an enhanced iSight camera. The gold version of the iPhone 5s has become very difficult to find, despite Apple reportedly increasing purchase orders from its manufacturing partners.
The 5c is largely the same as the iPhone 5 internally, except it has an "unapologetically plastic" casing, coming in five colors.
Apple is slated to report fiscal fourth-quarter earnings on Oct. 28, with the consensus estimate from Thomson Reuters calling for the Cupertino, Calif.-based firm to earn $7.88 a share on $36.76 billion in revenue. There has not been a cut to consensus estimates for fiscal fourth-quarter earnings in the past week. Apple is expected to earn $13.80 a share on $55.44 billion in the all-important holiday season, so if the iPhone 5c order cuts are true, which I place a great deal of skepticism on, it will likely be seen in these estimates.
The rumor mill is a vicious, ugly place, and it's difficult to read too much into one supplier or manufacturing partners. Given that the iPhone 5s is selling exceptionally well, shareholders likely shouldn't worry too much - the 5s likely has higher margins than the iPhone 5 did, due to using the same body.Even if the 5c isn't selling as well as Apple hoped. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV