DEERFIELD, Ill., Oct. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The 2012-13 flu season was one of the most severe in the U.S. in more than a decade and according to a new study, had two to three times the impact over a more typical flu season on the workplace, school, family and other segments of people's everyday lives. A new report from Walgreens (NYSE:WAG) (Nasdaq:WAG) suggests U.S. adults missed 230 million work days last season, while children lost more than 90 million school days due to flu-related illness. By contrast, 100 million work days and 32 million school days were missed in 2010-11, according to the Walgreens Flu Impact Report .
Released today, the report examines the broad implications of the flu on people's everyday lives and the U.S. economy. The latest findings illustrate the wide-ranging impact of last flu season, as well as stark comparisons to the 2011 Flu Impact Report, which was conducted following a more typical season, and also the most recent commissioned by Walgreens.
Flu activity last season peaked in December 2012, coinciding with the winter holidays and resulting in more than 11 million vacations interrupted or canceled as a result of the flu, a 300 percent increase over 2011, based on survey results.
"The flu season is always unpredictable, and the impact it can have on individuals and families at home and in the workplace can be significant," said Harry Leider, M.D., Walgreens chief medical officer. "Last year, with flu peaking early, a lot of people weren't prepared and as a result lost vacations and missed out on holidays. This underscores the importance of getting a flu shot early, and our report shows more people are planning to do so, along with taking other preventive measures this year."Flu Impact on the Workplace Nationally, the report suggests the flu-related cost to employers in 2012-13 was $30.4 billion, three times the $10.5 billion impact found in 2010-11, while employees who missed time at work due to flu-related illness lost more than $8.5 billion in wages. In addition:
- Employees missed, on average, three days of work in 2012-13, compared to an average of one day during the 2010-11 season
- 6.2 million Americans missed a business trip in 2012-13 compared to 2 million in 2010-11
- Three out of four respondents indicated they were personally impacted by the flu last year
- Holiday events missed: 17 million vs. 4.7 million in 2011
- Vacations missed: 11 million vs. 3.6 million in 2011
- Romantic dates or other occasion missed: 13.8 million vs. 5.1 million in 2011
- Nearly one-third (31 percent) of the 2012-13 survey respondents waited until November or later to get their vaccine
- Walgreens data shows 20 percent of the 7 million flu shots administered at Walgreens (including Healthcare Clinics and Duane Reade) last season were administered in January
- Nearly four out of every five (79%) Americans believe that it takes 10 days or less, after receiving the flu shot, for the body to build up full immunity; in reality it takes up to 14 days
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV