NEW YORK (TheStreet) -Intel (INTC) comfortably beat Wall Street's earnings estimate in its third-quarter results, released after market close on Tuesday. Weaker-than-expected guidance, however, weighed on the company's shares in after-hours trading, sending the lower by 0.38% to $23.30.
The chip maker earned 58 cents a share, flat compared to the same period last year. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 53 cents a share.
Intel brought in revenue of $13.5 billion, also flat year over year, but up 5% sequentially. Wall Street expected sales of $13.46 billion.
The Santa Clara, Calif.-based firm, widely regarded as a tech bellwether, reported a gross margin of 62.4%. The gross margin number was 1.4 percentage points above the midpoint of the company's prior expectation of 61%.As anticipated, Intel felt the pressure of a difficult PC environment. Revenue from the company's PC Client Group was $8.4 billion, down 3.5% compared to the prior year's quarter, but up 3.5% sequentially. Revenue from Intel's Data Center Group, however, was up 12.2% year over year and up 6.2% compared to the second quarter of 2013. For the fourth-quarter, Intel expects revenue between $13.2 billion and $14.2 billion and gross margin between 59% and 63%. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters predict fourth-quarter revenue of $14 billion. "The third quarter came in as expected, with modest growth in a tough environment," said Intel CEO Brian Krzanich, in the company's statement. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV