How to Use Your Commute to Add Skills and Improve Your Work Life
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Whether your daily commute is by car, train or subway, the hours you spend getting to and from work can seem like wasted time. Most of us spend it listening to music, making phone calls or catching up on a novel or favorite podcast. While there's nothing wrong with using that transit time as a way to zone out, experts say there is a "smarter" way to commute that can help boost the career you have -- or give you a leg up on getting a new one. So sit back, enjoy the ride and take a look at our top five ways your morning commute can give you the career boost you've been looking for.
1. Think -- really think -- about what you're doing and where you want to go
"There really isn't a whole lot of time left for thinking anymore," says Doug Brown, academic program manager for the online MBA program at the Malcolm Baldrige School of Business at Post University. "We live in a world where we're constantly getting information input, but we have very little processing time for all that information. At some point, it needs to process."
For some people, "thinking" time, or "processing" time, can be a few minutes each day where they put relaxing music on in the background and find a quiet space to think -- and that can be done easily in the car, Brown says."Commuting time can be very effective quiet time," he says. "If you're driving and your normal habit is to drive as fast as possible in the left lane, maybe you slow down, drive with traffic and let your mind focus on something else besides the road." Although everyone needs time for quiet reflection, Brown says it can really aid professionals looking to improve their career, because it allows them to take stock of what's going on in the workplace. "If you're having problems with a colleague, you can use that time to say, 'OK, I have this perspective, but what have I not thought about? What is the other person's perspective, and how can we approach this from a different angle?'" Brown says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV