[video] Quick Take: Gold, Oil Fall on Possible DC Deal
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Joe Deaux spoke to Thomas Vitiello, partner at Aurum Options Strategies, about gold and TheDeal's Paul Whitfield about oil.
Leading off with gold, Vitiello said there is an apparent solid support near $1,250, despite many traders expecting the metal to make new lows for the year.
Gold dipped to $1,251 before bouncing higher when a deal in Washington failed to materialize. Now that another compromise seems hopeful, the yellow metal is starting to fade once more.
He added that there seems to be solid physical demand for gold near the $1,250 level, as well as some aid from the gold forward offered rate, which is the interest paid to a third party for investors to swap gold for U.S. dollars.Vitiello concluded that gold may fail to make new lows, especially since short-sellers are usually quick to bail -- unlike longs who tend to dig in. Turning to oil and the recent bidding war between emerging market heavyweights India and China, Whitfield expects the former to continue outbidding the latter. Since India depends so much on importing energy, finding a way to gain more control of energy in other markets is one of the country's main goals. Generally, the Chinese have done well with this task, but Indian oil company OGNC has been pushing back. By recently buying a stake in one Brazilian oil field and also a Mozambique oil field, the company remains committed to spending $184 billion by 2030 to expand its operations, Whitfield said. He concluded that India's biggest risk right now is volatility in the energy markets, but it is working hard to mitigate that risk. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV