[video] Dicker: The Outlook for Oil Prices
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I was talking with Joe Deaux today about the outlook for oil prices should the Congress not reach a debt ceiling deal before Thursday.
Despite the optimism on the Senate deal that has been seen in the recent market rally, unfortunately, we still have to consider the possibility that the House of Representatives will either not bring the Senate bill to the floor or not be able to find the votes to pass the deal.
Should that happen, and should we go over the Oct. 17 deadline, the results for the oil market would be certain: Prices would crash.
That's because the oil market, despite the fact that it deals with physical products, is far more financially driven than most people think -- and those financial instruments are supported by credit.With the prospect of a government default on U.S. Treasuries on the table, the credit markets everywhere would be in grave danger of seizing on a level not seen since the great financial collapse of 2008, driving all risk assets downwards. Indeed, the low price that was set in oil in 2009 of under $40 a barrel was far more attributable to the lack of available credit for commercial and corporate financial oil positions than from the fear of economic slowdown. In the event of a self-inflicted default of U.S. Treasuries, that credit seizure could be even worse. I talk more about the prospects for an oil market without a debt limit deal with Joe in the video above. Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV