CHICAGO, Oct. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today released its annual Corporate Responsibility Report highlighting the company's work to operate a socially, environmentally and financially responsible business in a way that benefits its customers, employees, investors and the environment they share. United's employee relief efforts during Superstorm Sandy, its commitment to its hub community organizations and the accomplishments of its EcoSkies® environmental program are just a few of the actions featured in the report.
"Throughout our hubs and the cities where we operate, we are committed to supporting diverse programs and organizations that benefit our people and our communities," said United's Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Jeff Smisek. "We are proud of United's commitment to running an environmentally and socially responsible airline."
The report is available online at crreport.united.com. Highlights from 2012 include:
- United employees demonstrated their spirit of community and ability to work together following Superstorm Sandy, which had a significant impact on United's Newark hub and the surrounding communities. The airline activated its employee relief fund, sent generators for co-workers who lost power at home, and procured water, fuel, ice, food and lodging for co-workers in need.
- The United We Care Employee Relief Fund awarded over $100,000 in emergency funds to more than 1,400 Superstorm Sandy victims.
- United, along with customers and co-workers, contributed more than $15 million in cash and travel benefits to nonprofit organizations.
- United was recognized as the Eco-Aviation Gold Airline of the Year by ATW.
- The company reduced CO 2 emissions by more than 811,643 metric tons and is on track to reduce fuel consumption by 85 million gallons in 2013 through fuel efficiency initiatives.
- The airline increased orders for new Boeing and Airbus aircraft that are 15 to 20 percent more fuel efficient than those they'll replace, totaling now more than 260 aircraft on order.
- United has been a leader in the advancement and use of alternative fuels, making history in commercial aviation with its partnership with AltAir Fuels to bring commercial-scale, cost-competitive renewable jet fuel to its Los Angeles hub as early as 2014.
- United launched Eco-Skies Community Grants with $50,000 in donations to support environmental volunteerism in its hub communities.
- United has participated in the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) since 2006 and was the first U.S. carrier to fully do so. The airline publicly discloses information on its carbon footprint through the CDP and proactively works to convey this information to its stakeholders to address their specific information requests and reporting needs.
- United employees volunteered nearly 90,000 hours to support community partners, and the airline and its customers contributed millions in cash and travel to organizations in each of its U.S. hub cities of Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Newark, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
- The company is committed to supporting diverse programs and organizations that benefit its people and its communities, such as the March of Dimes, to which 1,500 co-workers raised more than $300,000, and Feeding America, to which United contributed $272,800 or the equivalent of 2.1 million meals to hungry families.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV