MeetMe, Inc. (NYSE MKT: MEET), the public market leader for social discovery, has launched a new stand-alone dating application called Charm. This application is separate from MeetMe’s core MeetMe application and is specifically optimized for dating.
Charm lets users capture short videos that show off their personality and easily view others’ videos by swiping through a queue of users near them. Charm users are able to specify their geographic location along with the age range and gender they prefer to date. Only users whose criteria match up bi-directionally will be shown one another’s videos, increasing the likelihood of making a match.
“A major benefit of the video approach to dating is that it doesn’t reduce people to just a profile photo. Apps like Tinder make it very easy to dismiss or express interest based on a profile photo, but we don’t believe you can make a first impression with just a photo—which may turn out to be five to ten years old. A video shows personality and a realistic sense of what a person actually looks like now,” said Catherine Cook, co-founder and vice president of brand strategy of MeetMe.
“Charm allows users to browse six to ten second clips of their potential matches to get a better idea of whether they want to connect with someone. In doing so, we took the simple mechanism that makes Tinder so successful and added a whole new dimension,” said Geoff Cook, CEO of MeetMe. “Similar to Vine, our videos are looping and they enable great creativity, as users can start and stop the record function easily and switch back and forth between the rear and front-facing cameras.”Adding to the utility of the dating platform, members can only message each other once they both select “yes” in response to each other’s videos, greatly increasing the likelihood that their dating prospects will reply to their messages, compared to traditional dating apps.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV