Limoneira's recent growth spurt, which was somewhat unexpected to me, has increased total owned acreage to nearly 8,300, and total owned or managed acres to more than 10,000. If you want exposure to lemons, this is the company.
Limoneira also has an interesting relationship with avocado company Calavo Growers (CVGW), owning about 3.4% of that company's outstanding shares. In turn, Calavo owns about 15% of Limoneira's outstanding shares.
Limoneira does certainly not appear to be cheap at 56 times trailing earnings and 57 times the 2014 consensus earnings estimate, but this is not your typical company. It is an asset play, but one that may begin to show better earnings if recent acquisitions bear fruit (pun intended).At the time of publication the author was long LMNR. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV