Netflix is one of the biggest gainers in terms of stock price over the course of the last year. The company's one year return is almost 400%, more than any other stock on the S&P 500.
And today the stock appears to be on a run as well, with shares trading up almost 7% as of 2:40pm EST. This follows reports of insider selling among high-level executives, however those trades don't appear to have had much effect on the share price so far.
So will Netflix and other alternative forms of TV providers find more common ground with traditional cable networks? And do they all deserve a place in your portfolio? Consider the list of television-related stocks below.Click on the interactive chart below to see analyst ratings over time. Do you see investment opportunities in Netflix, Comcast, or both? Use the list of content providers and cable companies below to begin your own analysis. 1. Netflix, Inc. (NFLX): Provides subscription based Internet services for TV shows and movies in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $18.72B, most recent closing price at $300.85.
2. Comcast Corporation (CMCSA): Provides entertainment, information, and communications products and services in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $121.60B, most recent closing price at $40.06.
3. Dish Network Corp. (DISH): Provides direct broadcast satellite (DBS) subscription television services in the United States. Market cap at $21.77B, most recent closing price at $47.88.
4. Time Warner Inc. (TWX): Operates as a media and entertainment company in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $62.28B, most recent closing price at $67.41.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV