James Dennin, Kapitall: Netflix is reportedly in talks with cable providers to stream directly to cable sets. Does this mean they've won?
Multiple sources are now reporting that the online streaming website Netflix (NFLX) might soon beam content straight to your television set. First they successfully partnered with the British cable provider Virgin Media, in a deal that would run Netflix straight through to the televisions of UK viewers with a TiVo box.
Now Netflix is turning its attention to making a similar arrangement with American cable providers.
Talks are still underway, supposedly between representatives from Netflix and two of the largest cable providers in the US, Comcast (CMCSA) and Time Warner (TWX). The deal would further blur the lines between traditional television and the new streaming websites that compete with, alongside, above, basically all around them.The move illustrates two important trends:
- The increasing pressure for television providers to provide on-demand content for younger viewers.
- The continuing resilience of traditional TV among older, and wealthier customers.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts