LAS VEGAS, Oct. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) employees have pledged $4.7 million this year to support nonprofit organizations serving the resort company's host communities in Nevada, Michigan and Mississippi. Additionally, the company's worksite giving program gives employees the opportunity to support other nonprofit organizations nationwide of their choice.
Celebrating its 11 th anniversary, The MGM Resorts Foundation has raised more than $54 million (including 2013 donations) and supported more than 2,000 charitable organizations since its inception in 2002. The Foundation supports community charities by distributing employee-designated donations and issuing grants to community nonprofits selected by an employee grants council.
"Our employees have demonstrated, yet again, their enormous generosity and desire to inspire our world through giving," said Jim Murren, Chairman and CEO of MGM Resorts International. "I am proud of our culture, our employees and the excellence they bring to our resorts and carry into our communities every day."
Among the company's 62,000 employees, an average of 46 percent have donated money to the community since 2002 through cash and payroll donations, and Foundation-hosted fundraising events."Our employees realize that collectively we can have a powerful impact on effecting positive change through the initiatives, organizations and institutions that make up our social fabric," said Phyllis A. James, Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer. "When we use our time, talents and resources to help others, we not only improve lives today, but also preserve our communities for future generations." MGM Resorts covers all of the administrative costs required to raise and disburse the funds so every employee dollar donated can go directly to the community. Scott Rollman, Cage Supervisor at CircusCircus Las Vegas and member of the Foundation's Nevada grants council, commented: "MGM Resorts and our employees know the need is great in the community. There is no better feeling than knowing the influence this money will have in touching the lives of thousands of people." Examples of community services supported this year by the Foundation's grants include:
- Children and Youth: Community-based programs which focus on the overall development and well being of children and youth considered as at-risk.
- Education: Public education programs which enhance student learning from kindergarten through higher education.
- Hunger Relief: Food bank distribution programs which provide children, families and other individuals, access to food they otherwise would not have.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse: Recovery and counseling programs that help families, children and individuals affected by addictive behaviors, mental health problems, or other special life circumstances.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV