By Pete Najarian of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Vale (VALE) is engaged in the production of ferrous metals, but Monday it was producing huge profits for option traders.
OptionMonster's tracking systems showed heavy buying Monday in the November 17 calls, which went for 12 cents and 13 cents. More than 11,000 traded early for those prices, well above the previous open interest of 2,526 contracts and therefore indicating fresh activity.
Calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased, giving them cheap and potentially explosive leverage to a rally. And that's exactly what happened Monday in Vale, which saw those calls shoot up to 26 cents -- a profit of 100% in a matter of hours.
Vale shares ended the session up 4.58% at $16.22. Its business lines include iron, manganese, copper, and coal. Management has been reportedly engaged in a strategy of selling off non-core assets and expanding in key iron-ore markets. Others in the space have been pushing hard in recent weeks.
More than 15,000 of those November 17s would trade by the end of the session. Volumes were more even more impressive in Vale overall, with 68,000 contracts trading in total. Puts numbered just 23,000, a reflection of the day's bullish bias.
Najarian has no positions in VALE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV