Between 1990 and 2011, tech companies that were already profitable around the time of their IPO yielded an average 55% in their first three years of trading. Meanwhile companies that were unprofitable before their offering were up an average of just 22% over the same period.
With that in mind, we decided to screen for technology companies that were profitable at or around the time of their initial price offering. We started with a universe of recent tech IPOs, built from lists on the New York Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ of recent filings.
Then, we only screened for tech stocks that had positive profit margins. Since none of these companies are older than six months, as yet there is little data available about them.But we were still able to find four companies that are turning a profit. The next question is, will Twitter do the same? Click on the interactive chart below to see data over time. Do you see investment opportunities in recent IPOs? Use the list below as a starting point for your own analysis. 1. Evertec, Inc. (EVTC): Provides various transaction processing services in Latin America and the Caribbean. Market cap at $1.73B, most recent closing price at $20.30. Net Profit Margin: 4.7%.
2. Gigamon Inc. (GIMO): Designs, develops, and sells products and services that provide customers visibility and control of network traffic. Market cap at $1.08B, most recent closing price at $36.22. Net Profit Margin: 2.7%.
3. Professional Diversity Network, LLC. (IPDN): A professional networking site and job board for Spanish, Hispanic, Latino, and bilingual professionals in the United States. Market cap at $31.59M, most recent closing price at $5.06. Net Profit Margin: 8.0%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV