NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Netflix (NFLX) shares surged on the back of optimism over a potential deal with cable companies about bringing its services to their set-top boxes and a price target hike. Now, the company has announced it's going to air another original series.
Netflix has ordered a 13 episode psychological thriller series from Damages creators Todd A. Kessler, Daniel Zelman and Glenn Kessler. The new series, which comes from Sony Pictures Television, a division of Sony (SNE), focuses on a family of adult siblings whose past is revealed when their "black sheep brother" comes back home.
"We were spellbound after hearing Todd, Glenn and Daniel's pitch, and knew Netflix was the perfect home for this suspenseful family drama that is going to have viewers on the edge of their seats," said Cindy Holland, vice president of original content for Netflix in the press release. "Their work on 'Damages' was truly ahead of its time and we're proud to be bringing our viewers this upcoming series."
Production on the series will start early next year. Kessler, Zelman and Kessler will serve as executive producers. The show will be in a one-hour format, and Sony Pictures will produce the show for Netflix.Shares of Netflix surged 7.4% to $323.07 in Monday trading, while Sony shares were lower by 0.1% to $19.94. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV