URI Economist Sees Mixed Third Quarter Performance
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) â¿¿ A University of Rhode Island economist says the state began the third quarter on a positive note but he fears a slowdown in growth for the rest of the year.
Professor Leonard Lardaro says he revised upward his "Current Conditions Index" for July, but that the index level dropped in August. He tracks 12 economic indicators on a monthly basis.
Only eight of the indicators improved in August compared to a year ago.
The state Department of Labor and Training had planned to release the unemployment rate for September on Thursday but expects it will be delayed because of the partial government shutdown.Rhode Island's jobless rate in August was 9.1 percent, the third highest in the U.S.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV