Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Comcast (CMCSA) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Comcast as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CMCSA has 12x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.00 mentions/day.
- CMCSA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $500.6 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CMCSA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CMCSA NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on CMCSA: Comcast Corporation operates as a media and technology company worldwide. It operates through Cable Communications, Cable Networks, Broadcast Television, Filmed Entertainment, and Theme Parks segments. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.8%. CMCSA has a PE ratio of 17.3. Currently there are 21 analysts that rate Comcast a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.The average volume for Comcast has been 10.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Comcast has a market cap of $93.2 billion and is part of the services sector and media industry. The stock has a beta of 1.32 and a short float of 1.1% with 2.17 days to cover. Shares are up 16.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Comcast as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CMCSA's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 30.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 28.98% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CMCSA should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- COMCAST CORP has improved earnings per share by 30.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, COMCAST CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.29 versus $1.51 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.93 versus $2.29).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Media industry average. The net income increased by 28.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1,348.00 million to $1,734.00 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Media industry and the overall market, COMCAST CORP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Comcast Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about CMCSA
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV