Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Whirlpool Corporation (WHR) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Whirlpool Corporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- WHR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $151.8 million.
- WHR has traded 1.2 million shares today.
- WHR traded in a range 202.7% of the normal price range with a price range of $7.25.
- WHR traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 37 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 37 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in WHR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for WHR NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on WHR: Whirlpool Corporation engages in the manufacture and marketing of home appliances worldwide. The company's principal products include laundry appliances, refrigerators and freezers, cooking appliances, dishwashers, mixers, and other portable household appliances. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.7%. WHR has a PE ratio of 18.6. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Whirlpool Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.The average volume for Whirlpool Corporation has been 1.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Whirlpool has a market cap of $11.8 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and consumer durables industry. The stock has a beta of 1.75 and a short float of 3.6% with 2.38 days to cover. Shares are up 46.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Whirlpool Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 70.62% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 64.17% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, WHR should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- WHIRLPOOL CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, WHIRLPOOL CORP increased its bottom line by earning $5.06 versus $4.96 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($10.07 versus $5.06).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Household Durables industry. The net income increased by 75.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $113.00 million to $198.00 million.
- WHR's revenue growth trails the industry average of 22.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- You can view the full Whirlpool Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about WHR
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV