Oct. 14, 2013
- Ford Sollers announces the start of full-cycle production of the Ford EcoSport sport utility vehicle in 2014
- It will be the first vehicle built at a modernized plant in Naberezhnye Chelny – Ford Sollers second vehicle production plant in Tatartsan and its third plant overall in Russia
- Ford Edge crossover SUV to be built in Ford Sollers' Elabuga plant in Tatarstan from early next year
- Ford EcoSport and Ford Edge strengthen the Ford SUV line-up in Russia, which already includes the Ford Explorer and Ford Kuga
- Ford Sollers will add 500 new jobs in Tartarstan by the end of the year, bringing the total number of Ford Sollers employees in the region to 2,500
Ford Sollers announced today it is expanding its lineup of Ford sport utility vehicles produced in
to meet rising demand.
The two-year old joint venture between Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) and Sollers said it will begin full-cycle production of the Ford EcoSport SUV next year at its modernized vehicle assembly plant in Naberezhnye Chelny, Tatarstan. It also was confirmed the Ford Edge crossover SUV will go into production at the Ford Sollers assembly plant in Elabuga, Tatarstan, early next year.
"The Ford EcoSport and Ford Edge, which have proved to be great successes around the world, will give Russian customers two new stylish, fun-to-drive options from Ford's family of SUVs," said Ford Motor Company Executive Chairman
, who currently is visiting Ford Sollers' operations in
. "In addition to strengthening the Ford brand in
, production of these vehicles will create jobs and prosperity for the local community and help build a strong Russian auto industry for the future."
, CEO, Sollers, added: "This year has been unbelievably productive for the Ford Sollers business. The team has launched the full cycle production of the Ford Explorer in the Elabuga plant, began construction of a new
(10 billion Russian Roubles) engine plant in Tatarstan, plus announced the creation of an R&D center in
, with operations in the Leningradskaya Oblast and Tatarstan. Today's announcement helps to maintain the momentum the Ford Sollers business has achieved over the past two years since its creation."
When it starts production next year, the Naberezhnye Chelny plant will be Ford Sollers' third vehicle manufacturing facility. The company already builds vehicles in Vsevolozhsk in the Lenigradskaya Oblast, and Elabuga in Tatarstan.