By Derrik J. Lang
LOS ANGELES -- Gravity won't be held down.
The Warner Bros. (TWX) astronaut adventure directed by Alfonso Cuaron and starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney landed in the top spot at the box office for the second weekend in a row, according to studio estimates Sunday. Gravity earned $44.3 million, raising its domestic total to $123.4 million.
"They say what goes up must come down, but that's not really true with Gravity," said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for box-office tracker Rentrak. "To have opened as big as it did last week and only drop 21%, that's really an amazing hold. It's a direct testament to the word of mouth on the movie."Sony's (SNE) Captain Phillips launched in second place with $26 million. The high seas drama directed by Paul Greengrass stars Tom Hanks as a cargo ship captain who is held captive by Somali pirates. "We think the success of Gravity will also bode well for Captain Phillips," said Rory Bruer, head of distribution for Sony Pictures. "This is the extraordinary kind of film that we think audiences will flock to over the next several months moving forward." The animated Sony movie Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 gobbled up third place in its third weekend with $14.2 million, bringing its domestic haul to $78 million. The weekend's only other new release, Machete Kills, opened in fourth place with $3.8 million. The gun-toting sequel from director Robert Rodriguez and starring Danny Trejo and Michelle Rodriguez is the follow-up to Machete, which earned $11.4 million when it opened in 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV