The company's earnings were boosted by a "$900 million
Wells Fargo reported nonaccrual loans of $16.893 billion, or 2.08% of total loans, as of Sept. 30, improving from 2.23% the previous quarter and 2.44% a year earlier. Meanwhile, the bank's annualized third-quarter ratio of net charge-offs to average loans was just 0.48%. Reserves covered 1.93% of total loans as of Sept. 30.
Heading into third-quarter earnings season, investors' main concern was declining trading revenue and a major drop in mortgage banking revenue, as higher rates have slowed the mortgage refinancing wave.
Wells Fargo's total third-quarter revenue was $20.478 billion, declining from $21.378 billion the previous quarter and $21.213 billion a year earlier. Mortgage banking revenue for the third quarter dropped to $1.608 billion from $2.802 billion in the second quarter and $2.807 billion in the third quarter of 2012.In addition to a sharp decline in loan origination volume, the mortgage revenue decline reflected a decline in the gain-on-sale margin for loans sold to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, brought about by rising long-term interest rates. During Wells Fargo's third-quarter conference call, CFO Tim Sloan said the bank's gain-on-sale margin "declined from the historically high levels we experienced for the past year to 1.42%," in the third quarter from 2.21% in the second quarter. Wholesale banking revenue declined to $5.871 billion in the third quarter from $6.135 billion in the second quarter and $5.949 billion in the third quarter of 2013. The sequential decline in wholesale banking revenue reflected "sales and trading and investment banking results as well as seasonally lower crop insurance fees," according to the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV