Trade-Ideas: Jos A Bank Clothiers (JOSB) Is Today's "Barbarian At The Gate" Stock
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Jos A Bank Clothiers (JOSB) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Jos A Bank Clothiers as such a stock due to the following factors:
- JOSB has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $36.4 million.
- JOSB has traded 165,922 shares today.
- JOSB traded in a range 234.9% of the normal price range with a price range of $2.87.
- JOSB traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 142 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 142 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock s movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in JOSB with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for JOSB NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on JOSB: Jos. A. Bank Clothiers, Inc. engages in designing, manufacturing, retailing, and direct marketing men's tailored and casual clothing, and accessories in the United States. JOSB has a PE ratio of 19.2. Currently there are no analysts that rate Jos A Bank Clothiers a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.The average volume for Jos A Bank Clothiers has been 307,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. Jos A Bank Clothiers has a market cap of $1.2 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. The stock has a beta of 0.70 and a short float of 19% with 4.74 days to cover. Shares are up 2.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Jos A Bank Clothiers as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat weak growth in earnings per share.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- JOSB has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, JOSB has a quick ratio of 2.34, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for JOS A BANK CLOTHIERS INC is rather high; currently it is at 62.16%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 6.12% trails the industry average.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 19.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 10.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The share price of JOS A BANK CLOTHIERS INC has not done very well: it is down 10.68% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- You can view the full Jos A Bank Clothiers Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV