What this tells me is that as downtrodden as Intel may appear, management has figured out ways to bring back operational efficiency means that the company is still in capable hands. Not to mention, the company has laid down the foundation for its long term-success, which includes (among other things) perusing growth in China and emerging markets, and reinvesting cash flow back into research and development.
In that regard, I'm willing to give management the time it needs to make the necessary adjustments to grow market share in that all-important mobile category. I know this is where things get sketchy.
I'm not suggesting that Intel is suddenly going to overtake Qualcomm and Broadcom (BRCM), but I believe Intel has the ability to emerge as a legitimate player not only in mobile devices but also baseband chips.
That Samsung has chosen Intel's Clover Trail+ mobile chip processor to power its Galaxy Tab is a small step. But it's one that can turn into a giant leap. This also demonstrates that Intel is, in fact, able to optimize Google's (GOOG) Android platform, which some people in the media have argued Intel couldn't do.So as I've said on more than one occasion, taking a position here on Intel should be about what you believe the company is able to do the future. Judging Intel solely on a quarter to quarter basis doesn't work. Given management's plans to grow the company's chip business in the emerging markets, shares of Intel can command a long-term fair market value of $32 per share on the basis of improved margin and free cash flow. At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV