Another stock that looks poised to trigger a big breakout trade is Amedisys ( AMED), which is engaged in delivering personalized health care services to patients and their families. This stock has been on fire so far in 2013, with shares up a whopping 61%.
If you look at the chart for Amedisys, you'll notice that this stock has been trending sideways inside of a consolidation chart pattern right above its 50-day moving average at $16.92, with shares moving between $16.04 on the downside and $18.70 on the upside. Shares of AMED are now starting to spike higher right above its 50-day, and it's quickly moving within range of triggering a big breakout trade above the upper-end of its recent range.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in AMED if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $18.05 to its 52-week high at $18.70 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 444,954 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then AMED will set up to enter new 52-week-high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that breakout are $25 to $27 a share. Traders can look to buy AMED off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below its 50-day at $16.92 a share or below more near-term support at $16.62 a share. One can also buy AMED off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV