Another stock that looks poised to trigger a big breakout trade is Amedisys (AMED), which is engaged in delivering personalized health care services to patients and their families. This stock has been on fire so far in 2013, with shares up a whopping 61%.
If you look at the chart for Amedisys, you'll notice that this stock has been trending sideways inside of a consolidation chart pattern right above its 50-day moving average at $16.92, with shares moving between $16.04 on the downside and $18.70 on the upside. Shares of AMED are now starting to spike higher right above its 50-day, and it's quickly moving within range of triggering a big breakout trade above the upper-end of its recent range.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in AMED if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $18.05 to its 52-week high at $18.70 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 444,954 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then AMED will set up to enter new 52-week-high territory, which is bullish technical price action. Some possible upside targets off that breakout are $25 to $27 a share. Traders can look to buy AMED off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below its 50-day at $16.92 a share or below more near-term support at $16.62 a share. One can also buy AMED off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV