NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With so many different strategies available to investors these days, Kevin Quigg, global head of ETF sales strategy at State Street, tells TheStreet's Joe Deaux the difference between physical gold and the SPDR Gold Shares Trust ETF (GLD).
Quigg said there's nothing wrong with owning physical gold for certain investors, but the exchange-traded fund has significant advantages. GLD is backed entirely by physical gold, but allows investors to trade it like a stock, creating more liquidity and improving efficiency.
Regarding net outflows, it simply means more people have been selling the ETF than buying, he said. But Quigg added that the outflows could be attributed to portfolio rebalancing, as investors look to take advantage of different assets within the market.
"We do caution investors to not look just at the price of gold, but also the role of gold" in their portfolio, he said.The yellow metal provides stability, diversification and non-market correlated returns, which was obvious during the recent credit crisis, Quigg added. As for the gold miners, he reminded investors without investing through the ETF, they are more exposed to the miner's risks, including management actions and mining efficiency. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV