In a September research note, Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas said the Model X has the potential to be better than the Model S. "They've set a high bar with the Model S that must be maintained with the Model X (which we think has the potential to be an even better vehicle), a compact sports sedan, crossover, pickup-truck and other derivatives," Jonas wrote.
The Model X is different than most SUVs, not only in that it's an electric vehicle, but it's incredibly fast as well. Given that there is no internal combustion engine, this allows torque in the Model X, as well as other electric cars, to be significantly higher than similar gasoline-powered cars.According to Tesla's Web site, the Model X will come with two motors, and be offered with an optional All-Wheel Drive, which will it allow it to accelerate from 0 to 60 in less than 5 seconds. Lazard Capital Markets analyst Aditya Satghare notes that the Model X "needs to be priced attractively and deliver car-like performance." The aforementioned specs suggest that the Model X will deliver more than "car-like" performance, as it competes with luxury SUVs such as the Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover and offerings from BMW and Mercedes. Satghare is expecting Tesla to maintain on track with a 2014 delivery, and then refresh the SUV in 2017. That's comparable to the Model S, which goes from 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds using the P85 battery. TheStreet recently test drove the Model S, calling it an incredible experience, as Tesla "has been able to redefine what luxury driving should be." The Model X will come in a 60 kWh and 85 kWh battery models, and will feature three drivetrain options: Model X with Rear Wheel Drive, Model X with Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive, and Model X Performance with Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV