Profit from Dow 55,000
As I mentioned before, Dow 55,000 isn't a price target for next year or the year after. It's a very long-term target that's based on the runs stocks have made in the last two similar periods to today. But now is absolutely the time to get your portfolio positioned for the upside.
The simplest way to profit from Dow 55,000 is to buy stocks as a group. Major index exchange-traded funds such as the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) or the PowerShares QQQ Trust (QQQ) may not be very sexy, but they give you instant exposure to a diversified equity portfolio with very low fees.
That said, this is very much a stock picker's market. Aside from general stock buying, one of the best ways to play this trend is by honing in on fundamentally solid names that everyone else hates. Heavily shorted stocks have the potential for a short squeeze as sentiment turns, and that's more than just an old wives' tale; my research shows that buying heavily shorted large and mid-cap stocks (the top two quartiles of all shortable stocks by market capitalization) and rebalancing monthly over the last decade would have beaten the S&P 500 by 9.28% each and every year.That's some material outperformance during a decade when decent returns were very hard to come by. That makes names such as Garmin (GRMN), Intuit (INTU) and even high-flying Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) look pretty attractive in the years ahead. I'm the first to admit that Dow 55,000 sounds like a crazy price target for stocks right now. But with so many factors lining up to suggest another generational buying opportunity for stocks right now, it'd be just as crazy not to position your portfolio for it in 2013. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV