"We believe estimates will be revised downward based on the weak September comp to an estimate more in-line with ours, which will likely result in share pressure near term," Jaffe wrote. "We would be buyers of GPS shares in weakness given our long-term, favorable outlook for the company."
Still, it seems the consumer's shift to buying other larger items has hit even one of the strongest retailers and likely won't bode well for the upcoming holiday season.
Gap is feeling the same pressure that many other chain stores are feeling. September same-store sales rose just 0.4%, excluding the drug stores, below expectations of a 3.1% rise and last year's 5.5% monthly gain, according to Thomson Reuters.
"The 0.4% result is the weakest showing since the recession, when the index registered a -2.4% [same-store sales] result in August 2009," a note by Thomson Reuters said.Teen retailers have had a particularly hard time attracting customers of late. September sales continued that trend. American Apparel's (APP) same store sales fell 6%. Comp sales at The Buckle (BKL) and Zumiez (ZUMZ) also declined last month, down 4.5% and 0.6%, respectively. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV