CHICAGO, Oct. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today reported estimated U.S. mutual fund asset flows for September 2013. Long-term mutual funds collected tepid inflows of $2.5 billion during the month, as municipal-bond funds saw a seventh consecutive month of outflows. Since March, muni-bond funds have lost $48.1 billion to outflows, surpassing redemptions of $44.8 billion seen from November 2010 through August 2011. Taxable-bond funds endured their fourth-straight month of outflows, although the pace of selling slowed relative to June's record outflows. Morningstar estimates net flow by computing the change in assets not explained by the performance of the fund. Click here for a full explanation of Morningstar's methodology.
Additional highlights from Morningstar's report on mutual fund flows:
- U.S. equity funds saw their largest monthly outflow for the year to date, but the $3.3 billion in redemptions was small compared with the $9.1 billion average monthly outflow seen by the category group in 2012.
- International-equity funds led all category groups in September with inflows of $7.3 billion; the group also leads all others for the year-to-date period with inflows of $103.2 billion.
- Alternative mutual funds had the highest organic growth rate among category groups, but the growth was largely driven by just one fund—MainStay Marketfield. The fund, which has a Morningstar Analyst Rating™ of Bronze, brought in $1.7 billion for the month and $10.2 billion year to date.
- Vanguard had the highest provider-level inflows with $3.2 billion, followed by Goldman Sachs and Dimensional Fund Advisors. PIMCO saw outflows of $6.5 billion; since June, heavy outflows of $30.2 billion from PIMCO Total Return have contributed to the firm's overall outflows of $38.2 billion.
The information contained herein: (1) is proprietary to Morningstar and/or its content providers; (2) may not be copied or distributed; and (3) is not warranted to be accurate, complete, or timely. Neither Morningstar nor its content providers are responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. References to and commentary on the above mentioned mutual funds should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell that fund.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV