- U.S. equity funds saw their largest monthly outflow for the year to date, but the $3.3 billion in redemptions was small compared with the $9.1 billion average monthly outflow seen by the category group in 2012.
- International-equity funds led all category groups in September with inflows of $7.3 billion; the group also leads all others for the year-to-date period with inflows of $103.2 billion.
- Alternative mutual funds had the highest organic growth rate among category groups, but the growth was largely driven by just one fund—MainStay Marketfield. The fund, which has a Morningstar Analyst Rating™ of Bronze, brought in $1.7 billion for the month and $10.2 billion year to date.
- Vanguard had the highest provider-level inflows with $3.2 billion, followed by Goldman Sachs and Dimensional Fund Advisors. PIMCO saw outflows of $6.5 billion; since June, heavy outflows of $30.2 billion from PIMCO Total Return have contributed to the firm's overall outflows of $38.2 billion.
Morningstar Reports U.S. Mutual Fund Asset Flows For September 2013
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts