NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Consistent and reliable money can be made by investing in companies that have proven themselves time and time again. With dividends and large market caps, they are stable and dependable.
But how do you make the really big money? I mean the money that can really set you up down the road. Well of course, you buy the future!
Another alternative would be to buy into the Elon Musk ETF.
But seriously, investing in the future is the high-reward investment strategy. But as we all know, the higher the reward, the higher the risk.Sometimes when you're trying to invest in the future, you may feel late to the party when in fact you're not. Take Apple (AAPL) for instance. Back when Apple shares were trading at $250, many investors felt they had missed the boat. Then the stock ran to $700. Recently, shares were at $500, a "mere" 100% return for investors who bought shares at $250. The steepest hurdle for investing in the future is distinguishing fad from solid trend. You never want to be "that guy" who buys into hype only to watch it fizzle. So, you need to look for rising sectors and ideas that have the potential for long-term success. One solid trend is health and wellness. Companies such as Whole Foods Market (WFM) and Fresh Market (TFM) have seen strong growth as consumers are willing to pay up for healthy, organic and non-GMO foods. Other companies that benefit from interest in health are sports footwear and apparel retailers such as Under Armour (UA) and Nike (NKE). Nike makes the FuelBand, a wearable device that tracks physical activity and is similar to the FitBit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV