NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- JPMorgan Chase's (JPM) third-quarter investment banking and trading results are positive for Goldman Sachs (GS) and Citigroup (C), according to a report published Friday by Keefe, Bruyette & Woods.
Equity trading results were down 4% vs. the second quarter but up 20% vs. a year ago. Fixed income trading revenue fell 16% vs. the previous quarter and 8% vs. the previous year, the report stated.
Those figures suggest "a positive read-across" to Goldman and a "modestly positive read-across" to Citi relative to KBW's earlier expectations. The results imply Goldman's earnings should be $2.93 vs. KBW's official estimate of $2.80, while Citigroup's estimate should move to $1.20 per share from $1.16.
Goldman shares were up 0.56% to $158.90 in early trading, while Morgan Stanley shares were down 0.24% to $49.15. Citi will report third-quarter results Oct. 15 while Goldman will report Oct. 17.Strong advisory revenue, meanwhile -- compared to the overall market -- suggest market share gains for JPMorgan and a slight negative read across for M&A advisory-focused firms, according to KBW's report. KBW did not name any in its report, but they include Lazard (LAZ), Evercore (EVR) and Greenhill (GHL), among others. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV