ASPIRA/Florida , in partnership with Comcast, celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month today with a very special gift to the students at The ASPIRA South Youth Leadership Charter School near Homestead: the gift of knowledge in the form of free Internet access for a year through Comcast’s Internet Essentials program.
ASPIRA/Florida is dedicated to the development of Latino and other minority youth who want to excel academically and become leaders in the community. The ASPIRA South Youth Leadership Charter School is a middle school (grades 6-8) located in the multi-ethnic community of Leisure City, Florida, near Homestead. Students from this predominantly low-income community include a large migrant population. Ninety-four percent of students at the middle school receive free or reduced-price lunch, and a majority of them speak a language other than English in their homes.
With the assistance of Firstbank Florida, which provided funding for this effort, ASPIRA is providing 250 Internet Essentials Opportunity Cards to eligible students, enabling them and their families to access the Internet at home free for one year. The Comcast Internet Essentials program is the nation’s largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption initiative for low-income families. Internet Essentials works by providing low-cost broadband service for $9.95; an option to purchase a computer for less than $150 and access to free digital literacy training to households that have at least one child eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program.
“Technology is radically changing the way our children are learning and we need to give them access to information if we hope to bridge this digital divide,” said ASPIRA CEO George Carbrera. “Getting our students connected is just the first step and we hope this opens up many new doors of opportunity for them and their families.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV