Trade-Ideas: Goldcorp (GG) Is Today's Pre-Market Laggard Stock
- GG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $161.6 million.
- GG traded 20,163 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:44 AM.
- GG is down 2.1% today from Friday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in GG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for GG NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on GG: Goldcorp Inc. engages in the acquisition, development, exploration, and operation of precious metal properties in Canada, the United States, Mexico, and Central and South America. It primarily explores for gold ores, as well as for silver, copper, lead, and zinc ores. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.3%. Currently there are 15 analysts that rate Goldcorp a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold. The average volume for Goldcorp has been 8.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Goldcorp has a market cap of $20.8 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are down 30.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Goldcorp as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- GOLDCORP INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, GOLDCORP INC reported lower earnings of $1.85 versus $2.13 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 821.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $268.00 million to -$1,934.00 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, GOLDCORP INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $80.00 million or 85.55% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 44.24%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 1015.38% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- You can view the full Goldcorp Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts