- Schools Overwhelmingly Consider Racial Diversity Important: Of the colleges surveyed, 96% say that it is important for their school’s administration to have a racially diverse student body. A strong majority of medical schools surveyed (83%) also consider racial diversity in their student population important; law schools were unanimous (100%), business and grad schools nearly so (99% and 98%, respectively). A lesser majority of students agree: in a Kaplan survey of nearly 700 college applicants in June, 60% said it’s “very important” or “somewhat important” for the college they attend to have a racially diverse student body.
- Affirmative Action Policies Most Prevalent Among Med Schools; Least So Among B-Schools: 16% of business schools, 21% of colleges, 37% of graduate schools, 45% of law schools and 57% of medical schools surveyed reported having race-conscious affirmative action policies currently in place. Ten percent of colleges preferred not to say. (Eight states currently ban the use of race-conscious affirmative action: AZ, CA, FL, NE, NH, OK, TX, WA.)
- Most Believe Policies Have Been Effective: Among the schools with affirmative action policies, a strong majority feel these have been effective in fostering racial diversity in their schools (89% of colleges, 96% of law schools, 85% of medical schools, 78% of business schools and 96% of graduate schools).
Kaplan Test Prep Survey: With Affirmative Action Case Pending In Supreme Court, Admissions Officers Show Varying Levels Of Concern About Impact Of Banning Race-Conscious Admissions Policies
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.