NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Here are 10 things you should know for Monday, Oct. 14:
1.-- U.S. stock futures suggested Wall Street would open lower Monday as the Thursday deadline to increase the U.S. debt ceiling loomed.
European stocks were trading mostly lower. Asian shares ended mixed in light trading. Markets in Japan and Hong Kong were closed for holidays on Monday.
2.-- The economic calendar in the U.S. Monday is empty. Stock markets remain open for Columbus Day but the bond market is closed.
The talks are in early stages and no deal is imminent, the people told the Journal. A deal would mark Netflix's first such tie-up with a U.S. cable provider and would come after a similar agreement it recently announced with U.K. cable operator Virgin Media, the Journal noted. 6.-- General Motors (GM) will open Monday a $200 million metal-stamping plant adjacent to its factory in Arlington, Texas. GM hopes to save about $40 million a year in shipping costs by locating parts near the assembly plant, according to the Journal. 7.-- A transit strike at San Francisco's Bay Area Rapid Transit was averted for at least a day after two labor unions extended contract talks beyond a midnight deadline and agreed not to walk off the job Monday to allow more contract talks.
8.-- JB Hunt Transport Services (JBHT) is expected by analysts on Monday to post third-quarter earnings of 78 cents a share on revenue of $1.45 billion. 9.-- Wall Street expects insurer Brown & Brown (BRO) to report earnings in the third quarter of 40 cents a share.
10.-- David Ortiz hit a grand slam to erase an eighth-inning deficit and Jonny Gomes scored the game-winning run in the ninth Sunday night to give Boston a 6-5 victory over Detroit and tie the AL championship series at one game apiece.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel To contact the writer of this article, click here:Joseph Woelfel To submit a news tip, send an email to:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV