5 Industries Banking on Your Columbus Day Weekend
PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- Of all the long-weekend holidays on the calendar, Columbus Day may be the one that means the least to businesses and even less to the average U.S. worker.
Our own Dana Blankenhorn gets into the political debate surrounding the day and the open/closed list -- which features a whole lot more businesses opened than closed. Yes, it's on the list of federal holidays, but just about the last thing federal workers are thinking about during the government shutdown that prompted their unpaid furlough is what they're going to do with some time off.
The stock markets are still open, most businesses are still open and everyone who's not celebrating their cultural tie to Columbus' voyage or protesting the effects of that trip on Native American populations can be forgiven for not realizing that there's anything noteworthy about what is otherwise a typical Monday. Even local governments have cut the day off as a budget item, while Tennessee decided last year to move its state employee's Columbus Day holiday to the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Its clout is shrinking, but Columbus Day still has enough pull to get both its proponents and detractors a day off. It may not have as broad a reach as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day or Labor Day, but any day that gives even a segment of the U.S. working population a paid day off has the potential to pay off for anyone who can pry those weary workers out of the house for a weekend.We offer the following five corners of commerce as examples of exactly who is still relying on Columbus Day for a quick infusion of cash:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV