GE Atlanta was recently presented the Second Annual STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Education Award for Corporate Outreach by the Technology Association of Georgia (TAG) and the TAG Education Collaborative (TAG-Ed). GE’s collaborative effort to ignite minds, power robotics and educate future leaders through various activities in the Atlanta area led to the recognition over companies such as Cisco, IBM and UPS.
“STEM education is the foundation for the future leaders of our company. GE focuses on mentoring and sponsoring STEM programs that are well aligned with our growth values,” said Craig Foster, engineering manager of GE Power & Water. “We need scientists and engineers to help us solve the biggest challenges the world has to offer.”
The awards were created to recognize and celebrate individuals and organizations for their outstanding effort and achievement in supporting and promoting STEM education in Georgia. The three programs that helped GE gain the honor were the Igniting Minds sponsorship, FIRST™ Robotics Competition volunteer efforts and a partnership with the Georgia Tech Women in Engineering (WIE). The complete details for each program are included below:
- Igniting Minds is a program sponsored by GE that aims to strengthen middle school students’ abilities in the area of math. This program uses interactive activities to make abstract concepts real for students.
- Through the FIRST™ Robotics Competition GE volunteers dedicate hundreds of hours each year to helping students learn, love and experience real engineering. Students also develop life skills in team work, problem solving, professionalism, leadership and executive presentation.
- The Georgia Tech WIE partnered with GE to host a week-long day camp for middle school girls. This fun and interactive camp gave girls an early introduction to the exciting world of STEM with the goal of inspiring them to consider college majors and careers in these areas.
“With women under-represented in STEM fields, the GE Women’s Network developed the GE Girls program to share our enthusiasm for these careers,” said Denise Cullinan, vice president marketing of GE Capital and co-leader of GE Girls Atlanta. “We are happy to be recipients of the Corporate Outreach category and will continue to foster a lasting interest in STEM among girls in our community.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV