DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., Oct. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford's technologically advanced 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost ® race engine helps set three new speed records at Daytona International Speedway
- Colin Braun drives to new 222.971 mph single-lap mark on Daytona tri-oval, breaking 26-year-old record held by Bill Elliott and his Ford Thunderbird
- Michael Shank Racing also sets new standing-start 10-mile and standing-start 10-kilometer records
After 26 years, there's a new King of Speed at Daytona International Speedway.
Colin Braun drove a Riley Technologies Daytona Prototype race car, powered by the new 3.5-liter V6 Ford EcoBoost ® race engine, to a new Daytona single-lap speed record of 222.971 mph in a special record run attempt Wednesday, topping the 26-year-old speed record of 210.364 mph set by Bill Elliott in a Ford Thunderbird in qualifying for the 1987 Daytona 500.
Braun and Michael Shank Racing also set new world speed records for 10 miles from a standing start (210.018 mph average) and 10 kilometers from a standing start (202.438 mph average). All times from the session are subject to Federation Internationale de l'Automobile homologation.Braun, 25 years old, wasn't even born when Elliott set the previous speed record. But he knows the significance of the accomplishment at the speed trials. "It was a challenging day," said Braun. "There was a lot of work put in by a lot of people to accomplish these records. The power in the new EcoBoost engine is incredible, and it's amazing how fast it comes up to speed on the runs. "Our first run of the morning was 209 mph, and it was an edgy drive at that speed," Braun added. "I can only imagine how edgy it was for Bill Elliott at those speeds in his stock car Thunderbird. Our crew kept working and adjusting it, and it was a great feeling coming down pit road seeing how happy everyone was." The new Ford EcoBoost engine was prepared for the record run by Ford Racing engine partner Roush Yates Engines, and Continental Tire did a special tire – lighter and with less rolling resistance than the standard race tire, and with a harder compound.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV