NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- JPMorgan Chase (JPM) remains the most popular big bank stock among Wall Street analysts as it prepares to release third quarter earnings results Friday .
Twenty six of 39 analysts recommend JPMorgan shares to investors, while 12 are neutral and just one, Charles Peabody of Portales Partners, has an "underperform," recommendation, which he has maintained for almost exactly a year.
All that adds up to a rating of 4.4 out of 5 for JPMorgan, according to Bloomberg's scoring system. That is the best among JPMorgan's major U.S. peers, including Wells Fargo (WFC), Bank of America (BAC), Citigroup (C), Morgan Stanley (MS) and Goldman Sachs (GS). Citigroup is close behind with a 4.34 rating, while Goldman comes in last of those six with a score of 3.32.
Investors also are bullish on JPMorgan, with shares up 2.19% to $51.86 in mid-morning trading Thursday. The bank's stock remains among the cheapest in the financial sector on a forward price-to-earnings basis. The shares closed at $50.75 Wednesday and traded for just 8.5 times the consensus 2014 earnings estimate of $6.00, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.A call and an email message to Peabody, the lone bear on JPMorgan, weren't returned, and his research could not be obtained, but he told Bloomberg in August he expected an eventual $22 billion in litigation costs for the bank over the next several years, and he thought those costs could reach $5 billion this year. Since then, JPMorgan has shelled out a total of $1.3 billion to regulators over the "London Whale" trading debacle and an investigation of "illegal credit card practices." The bank also have to pay as much as $11 billion to resolve issues over mortgage backed securities it sold leading up to the crisis. "The regulators and the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV