But as of this writing, that's still speculation. And as HP regains its health it becomes increasingly vulnerable to a takeout by an outfit selling at a premium to sales. Apple now has 10 times HP's market cap. Microsoft has more than six times its market cap. IBM has five times its market cap, and Oracle has more than three times its market cap.
A healthier HP may be a tempting acquisition target. Good for Whitman, good for shareholders, great for speculators. But not the future the CEO is presently selling.
At the time of publication, the author owned shares of GOOG, AAPL, IBM and YHOO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV