NEW YORK (The Street) --
(CMCSA)jumped Thursday after announcing a deal with
Twitter, the microblogging site that is preparing to go public, that will allow subscribers of the media company's Xfinity cable-TV service
access NBC shows, movies and sports.
Shares of Philadelphia-based Comcast, which acquired a majority stake in NBCUniversal in 2011, rose 2.2% to $45.31. Comcast has advanced 21% this year compared to the Standard & Poor's 500,which has added 18%.
Xfinity customers will be able to watch NBC programming on Twitter using a feature that Comcast is calling "See It." The newfound partnership, as the companies are calling it, includes an advertising deal whereby messages about NBCUniversal programming will be fed to San Francisco-based Twitter users by "embedding sponsored, real-time" video clips within tweets.
Such advertising may also be used in Comcast's X1 platform, its entertainment operating system.
Along with programming from NBC, Comcast said the Twitter arrangement also would take from NBC Sports Network, CNBC, MSNBC, USA and Bravo, among other channels. Top shows that will be shown through Twitter will include NBC's "The Voice," "The Blacklist" and "Sunday Night Football," among others.
Twitter, in a filing last week with the Securities and Exchange Commission, said it is preparing to sell shares as part of its initial public offering.
Comcast purchased a controlling stake in NBCUniversal in 2011 for $13.8 billion, and then in March acquired full ownership in a deal with General Electric for $16.7 billion that also included Manhattan's 30 Rockefeller Center and CNBC's headquarters in New Jersey. --By Leon Lazaroff in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV